1. Does the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG) apply to Hong Kong?
A. Yes. China is a party to the CISG and China has not expressly excluded the application of the CISG to Hong Kong.
B. No. When Hong Kong was a British colony the UK had not adopted the CISG and in 1997 at the handover, China had sent a written notification to the UN Secretary-General inter alia identifying a list of treaties to which China itself is a party and which would apply to Hong Kong. The CISG was not on this list.
C. It depends. Several cases and scholars have said yes and several have supported the contrary.
2. Hong Kong was the _ Asian jurisdiction to adopt the UNCITRAL Model Law on International Commercial Arbitration (1985).
3. What was the nickname of the person, believed to be the first in the world,to be convicted of a crime in Hong Kong for using BitTorrent P2P file sharing and enabling others to download films from his computer?
B. Miss Congeniality
C. Big Crook
D. Chan Nai-Ming
4. Which of the following is not a French word?
5. If a child is born disabled due to negligent prenatal care and the child were to file a lawsuit, might any of the following be entitled to immunity from the lawsuit?
A. The mother
B. The doctor
C. The father
D. None of the above
6. If a tort was committed overseas, what needs to be shown in order for the case to be brought before the Hong Kong courts?
A. That the tort would have been actionable if it was committed in Hong Kong
B. That the act was not justifiable by the law of the place where it was done
C. Both A. and B.
7. Privilege against self-incrimination does not apply in proceedings concerning intellectual property infringement.
8. Prior to the Intestates’ Estates Ordinance that came into force in 1971, the Chinese Qing/Tsing law applied if the intestate was a Chinese, otherwise English law was applicable.
9. Upon the death of a person, which jurisdiction (i) does not have an opt-out donor scheme (ie where every person would be an organ donor by default unless they have opted out); (ii) has approximately six donors per million people; and (iii) has approximately 3,000 patients waiting for organ donations?
B. Hong Kong
C. The Netherlands
10. Currently, which convention regulates the liability of airlines with regard to international travel disruptions?
A. Warsaw Convention
B. New York Convention
C. Montreal Convention
D. Hague Convention
To be eligible to win a bottle of Ch. Roquettes 2010 (Grand Cru) or Ch. Tour Baladoz 2006 (Grand Cru) from Global Vintage Wines Centre, please send your quiz question answers to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The first reader to respond with the most correct answers, with no more than 3 incorrect responses, will be deemed the winner. The decision of Thomson Reuters regarding the winner is final and conclusive.
The name of the winner of the Legal Trivia Quiz #60 can be found on page 3 in the February 2020 issue of Hong Kong Lawyer.
Answers to Legal Trivia Quiz #60
1. H. Supreme Court in the 1910s
2. B. Supreme Court under construction
3. A. Supreme Court during WWII
4. E. Supreme Court in the 1920s
5. I. Supreme Court from Murray parade ground
6. D. Laying the foundation stone of the Supreme Court
7. F. Supreme Court of Hong Kong in the 1930s
8. C. Supreme Court immediately post WWII
9. G. Supreme Court in the 1960s
10. J. Supreme Court in the 1950s