Hong Kong has been slowly moving towards greater equality at the higher levels of the judiciary with the appointement last year of Beverly McLachlin and Brenda Hale as Non-Permanent Judges of the Court of Final Appeal and the appointment this year of Susan Kwan as the first female Vice-President of the Court of Appeal. The month’s quiz focuses on these ground-breaking judges.
1. Brenda Hale is also notable for being the first woman appointed to which of the following positions:
A. Justice of the English High Court of Justice
B. English Justice of Appeal
C. Law Lord
2. Susan Kwan is an author of a book/books on which topic?
A. Company Law: Pratice and Procedure
C. Conflicts of Laws
D. Appellate Practice and Procedure
3. Which judge has published a thriller entitled Full Disclosure?
A. Susan Kwan
B. Beverly McLachlin
C. Brenda Hale
4. Brenda Hale holds which title:
5. True of False: Beverly McLachlin was Canada’s longest serving Chief Justice.
6. Susan Kwan served in what position with the Hong Kong Bar Association?
C. Honourary Secretary
7. Which of Brenda Hale, Susan Kwan and Beverly McLachlan has the motto which reads (in translation) “Women are equal to everything”.
A. Brenda Hale
B. Beverly McLachlin
C. Susan Kwan
8. Susan Kwan was born in which city
A. Hong Kong
9. Beverly McLachlin is originally from which province of Canada?
A. British Columbia
10. Which television show did Brenda Hale appear on as a judge?
A. Judge Judy
B. Britain’s Got Talent
D. X Factor
Contest Rules: To be eligible to win a bottle of Ch. Roquettes 2010 (Grand Cru) or Ch. Tour Baladoz 2006 (Grand Cru) from Global Vintage Wines Centre, please send your quiz question answers to email@example.com. The first reader to respond with the most correct answers, with no more than 3 incorrect responses, will be deemed the winner. The decision of Thomson Reuters regarding the winner is final and conclusive.
ANSWERS TO LEGAL TRIVIA QUIZ #56
1. A. Justice Patrick Chan was the Chairman of the Working Party on Civil Justice Reform.
2. C. Hong Kong’s Civil Justice Reforms came into effect on 2 April 2009.
3. C. Lord Woolf was the principal author of the Woolf Report on the reform of the civil justice system in England.
4. B. The review of the Hong Kong Civil Justice System commenced in 2000.
5. B. In England the equivalent of the Underlying Objectives is the Overriding Objective.
6. B. A Case Management Summons was formerly a Summons for Directions.
7. D. A Sanctioned Payment was pre-CJR called a payment into court.
8. B. Prior to the CJR no leave to appeal was required to appeals of substantive interlocutory decisions. (Leave to appeal on costs was required.)
9. A. An IP specialist list has been established by Practice Direction 22.1 with effect from 6 May 2019.
10. C. Practice Direction 31 provides the court may take into account an unreasonable failure to mediate in determining costs.
There was no winner of last month’s Legal Trivia Quiz #56